What sets Blank Slate Patterns apart from other PDF patterns?
- Well, first Blank Slate Patterns have a wider range of boy patterns than anyone else – boys deserve custom sewn items too!
- Blank Slate Patterns are designed by someone with over 30 years of sewing experience, and then digitized and computer graded for professional pieces. You will find flawless construction instructions that don’t shy away from ready-to-wear details like functioning zip flies; instead Blank Slate patterns strive to make those details clear and accessible to home sewists.
- Additionally, all pattern pieces print in black and white(as opposed to colored lines that many PDFs use) so you don’t have to waste your colored ink. If you choose to print the instructions, those are in full color.
- Patterns are formatted for international customers-all patterns will print on standard paper sizes outside the U.S. without losing edges. All patterns include measurements in metric units as well. Finally, unlike when you buy a pattern in a big box store, you can get in touch with the designer (me) anytime you run into issues or get confused. I am usually able to respond to emails within 4 hours, and always within 24 hours.
What is a PDF Pattern?
- A PDF pattern is a digital file that you download from an emailed link. It includes sewing instructions with color photos, and pattern pages. You print the pattern pages on your home printer. The pattern pages require some trimming and taping together to get your complete, full size pattern. Instructions for printing and piecing your pattern together are included in the file. PDF patterns are great in that you get them instantly and don’t have to wait for a trip to the store to start sewing! And since they’re digital, there’s no shipping charge.
Where is my pattern?
- After you click the Add to Cart button for any of my patterns, you are taken to an E-Junkie shopping cart to complete your purchase. After you enter your payment information, you will get an email with a link to download your pattern. Make sure to save your pattern to your computer. Remember, these are digital, not paper, patterns, so you will only receive an email with a download link.
What software do I need?
- Most newer computers come with Adobe Reader installed, but if yours doesn’t, you can get it here for free. There are other PDF viewing programs, but I have found that they may not be as accurate when printing.
Can I sell items made from these patterns?
- Patterns are copyrighted and licensed for personal use only, which means you can use them to make items for yourself, or as gifts. If you would like to make items for sale, you need to contact me for a limited production license at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can see a blank limited production license here. Limited production licenses are for as many items as you can personally make and sell from that pattern, and they are free when you purchase your pattern through this site. If you purchase the pattern through another site, a $5 fee is involved, because it takes more legwork for me to confirm purchase through another vendor.
Can I share this pattern with friends?
- Again, these patterns are licensed for personal use only. That means you can print as many copies for your own personal use as you want, but you are not allowed to redistribute, sell, or reproduce the pattern for anyone else.
About the Designer
- I am a mom to two boys and a former theatre teacher/costumer. I have been sewing for over 30 years. The seeds for Blank Slate Patterns were planted when I searched high and low for a blazer pattern for my 2 year old son (now 4) and discovered there wasn’t one. So I drafted it. Other people expressed interest in the pattern, so I digitized it and put it up for sale. As I learned more about the process of digital drafting, I made more patterns. And I never can seem to find the clothing patterns I want for my guys, so now I just make them and share them! The blessing of this has been that I have been able to quit my teaching job and work from home (more time with the boys!) designing Blank Slate Patterns, and my guys have great custom wardrobes. I am thankful every day for this turn of events and the other sewers out there that make this career possible for me.
If you have any other questions not covered in these FAQs, feel free to contact me at email@example.com